Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Baby steps - custard from scratch

Although a big fan of custard, my custard making experience has so far been limited to making custard from powder.  Before I tackle something ambitious like galaktaboureko I thought I'd better start with making a simple custard from scratch.

Baked or stovetop?  I guess I should try both.

Lots of the recipes I looked at online included cornflour in the list of ingredients and I'm pretty sure it is the taste of cornflour that I dislike about the bird's custard powder so I've selected recipes without.

The baked custard recipe I'm going to try is from herbivoracious.com - it has a simple list of ingredients and lots of ideas for variations once I've mastered the basic recipe.  I also like the proportions - it will be easy to do a half or quarter recipe.

The stovetop recipe is from the BBC Food website.  It almost looks too easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment